Farm Energy Assessments
L&S Energy Services has been assisting Farmers in New York State become more energy efficient for many years. We have supported New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) Agriculture Programs including:
- FlexTech Agriculture Energy Audit Program
- Agricultural Energy Efficiency Program
- Agricultural Energy Efficiency Program 2
- Agriculture Energy Audit Program (AEAP)
NYSERDA’s current opportunity, AEAP offers three levels of energy audits. The farmer and L&S work together to determine which level is most appropriate for the farmer’s needs.
- Level 1 – This is a clipboard walk-through audit. General recommendations are documented in a memo format and communicated to the Farmer.
- Level 2 – This is a more detailed audit including energy usage analysis, documentation of the equipment inventory and detailed recommendations on energy efficiency improvements that can be made, including cost estimates and savings calculations.
- Level 3 –A study is conducted around one piece of equipment or an entire process to evaluate energy efficiency opportunities. This level of study includes data logging and in-depth data analysis. This is the most detailed level of audit.
Various types of “farms” are eligible for the program including dairies, orchards, greenhouses, vegetables, vineyards, grain dryers, and poultry/egg, etc. The Farmer must pay SBC (Systems Benefit Charge) on their electric bill.
L&S has been working with NYSERDA to provide the energy audit which then becomes the basis for incentive/rebate money through National Grid utility programs. The farm must be a National Grid customer to be eligible to receive National Grid incentives or economic development funding.
L&S can assist with every step in the process from filling out and submitting the NYSERDA application to conducting the energy assessment, writing the Energy Audit Report and assisting with applications for National Grid incentives.
We have experience with recommendations related to the agricultural market and can analyze energy efficiency improvements including the following:
- Lighting efficiency improvements
- Milk plate cooler applications
- Variable Frequency Drive on vacuum pumps
- Variable Frequency Drive on milk pumps
- Refrigeration heat recovery
- Equipment replacement or upgrade with Energy Star® or other energy efficient systems (for example: water heaters)
- High efficiency motor applications
- High efficiency air compressors with Variable Frequency Drives
- Ventilation system efficiency improvements
- Energy free stock waterers
- Timers (e.g., on tractor engine block heaters)
- Maintenance of heat exchangers and condensing coils